Missing Multi-Media Audio and SM Bus Controllers

OU812 15:28 28 Mar 04

I have just carried out a fresh install of XP Pro and note that two items are shown as driverless in device manager

(1) Multimedia Audio Controller
(2) SM Bus Controller

I have an Audigy 2 soundcard that seems to be working fine with its own diagnostic showing everthing to be in the green (with the Creative Knowledge base no help re the above).

So the question is does it matter that the Mutimedia controller is missing and as for the SM Bus Controller (which was also missing from my previous install of windows - XP Home)what is it for and where can suitable drivers be aquired if it has some useful purpose.

y_not 17:31 28 Mar 04

Don't know if it helps but I regularly forget to re-install the mainboard drivers (Via 4in1 pack).

Just a thought but I'm sure someone brighter than me will advise further

Good luck

Tony

OU812 17:45 28 Mar 04

I checked my bios (after flashing it this afternoon) and it seems onboard sound had been re-enabled which once disabled put paid to the message about a Missing Multi-media Controller.

As for the missing SM Bus drivers it seems from having a quick look in the web that many people report this issue but the solution(a download from Intel-Inf Update Utility) is only available to people with Intel chipsets unlike the SIS one on my board (645DX).

If anyone knows different however please let me know. For reference SM Bus (with a yellow question mark aginst it in Other Devices) only appears in Device Manager after resuming from standby or when manually scanning for hardware changes.

Stuartli 17:54 28 Mar 04

"Regularly forget to reinstall the mainboard drivers....?"

hugh-265156 18:02 28 Mar 04

click here was my findings some time ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…