Missing links, Windows XP

old sapper 22:37 24 Aug 06

Starting my computer last week, I had a message that Windows had recovered from a serious fault.
Since then I cannot open Windows calculator, media player, etc. etc. I am invited to go on line to find an appropriate programme to deal with the missing links. However, when I go on line I am steered to FILExt which gives me a bewildering array of options.
I am hardly PC compatible but it seems to me that the options all involve some cost and I wonder if I have picked up a virus which is designed to rob me.
Is there an easy way out of this problem please.
Old Sapper

VoG II 22:40 24 Aug 06

Start > All Programs > Acessories > System Tools > System Tools > system Restore

old sapper 09:52 25 Aug 06

Many thanks VoG but when I do this I get a message saying missing link to System Restore!
My PC seems to be completely messed up for some reason but the original message appeared aftre it had been switched off overnight. Any more ideas please?

VoG II 09:58 25 Aug 06

OK, try this:

Start, Run, type in

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK. This should start System Restore.

johndrew 14:16 25 Aug 06

Might sound a bit silly, but how are you `invited to go on line to find an appropriate programme to deal with the missing links.`

Have you done full malware scans?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…