Missing Itunes and restore points

ZootHornRollo 11 Apr 13

I run Windows 7 and up to now it has worked very well but recently has started to lose items. For example I have all my music located on a dedicated external hard drive which I link my iTunes to. However several times recently iTunes will say that the music location is my internal C drive and I have to then re-link it to my hard drive and re-import all the music again which takes a long time as I have 35000+ tracks. This has happened 3 times in the last month

Why is this happening and more importantly how do I overcome it.

The same thing happens with Restore Points. I create them regularly but whenever I open System Restore it says that no restore points exist. Again I would really like to put a stop to this happening. Any suggestions?

Number six 11 Apr 13

ZHR:

The best way to kick system restore into life is simply to turn it off, then on again.

Go to control panel > system > system protection. Turn it off for your C:\ drive, reboot, then turn on again. Should be off for all drives except system (C:)

Sorry, never used iTunes, so can't help there.

ZootHornRollo 14 Apr 13

Thanks for the advice Number six. Unfortunately I have tried it several times and the restore points I create are still disappearing.

john bunyan 14 Apr 13

In iTunes, "Edit" "Preferences" "Advanced" there is an option to change where iTunes finds your I Tunes music. Change it to the location you want on the external drive. The programme itself, not the media files will stay on the C: drive.

john bunyan 14 Apr 13

My data is on an F partition so my preference is set the path below. I have 2 libraries - my wife and I have one called oma and opas iTunes! and another for grandchildren.

F/: My Documents/MyMusic/oma and opas iTunes/iTunes media

ZootHornRollo 14 Apr 13

Thanks John. I do the same as you - I set itunes to my external drive but it keep defaulting back to the C drive when I boot the computer up again.

john bunyan 14 Apr 13

Puzzling. I will do some homework.

john bunyan 14 Apr 13

Have a read here and Google re ITunes media folder defaults to C drive. Do you always ensure the external drive is on and showing in Start, Computer before starting iTunes. In my case , as I use a data partition rather than an external drive, there is no problem. I do use Freefilesynch to make a mirror image back up of all my data on a SATA drive mounted in a removable caddy on my desktop, and use a USB external drive for backing up from my laptop.

See:

Apple

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message