Missing Icon BT Total Broadband

brambles 13:51 26 Sep 06

I have just finishing upgrading to 8Mbs BT Broadband - the experience was enhanced by a very intuitive visual & spoken instruction CD.

I previously had the 2 screen flashing icon indicating I was on line and showing the download speed - this has disappeared since the installation. Anyone tell me how to get it back - I know that the download fluctuates a little during the first few days. Thank you

Brambles

ade.h 15:17 26 Sep 06

Right-click the taskbar and select Properties. Check the icon settings. Then right-click your W-LAN entry in Network Connections; do the same.

brambles 10:30 27 Sep 06

ade.h thanks for your prompt reply I have noticed how you answer a lot of problems on a regular basis. I opened Network Connections & have two options 1394 Connection + Local Area Connection. I right clicked on the LNC one & as you know there was a box to tick 'show icon in notification area when connected' OK so I ticked & the two screen flashing icon appeared but the properties showed Speed 100mbs which confused me somewhat (I'm an enthusiastic 75 year old) I assume this is not the one I require. My connection is an ethernet one there are no wireless implications until we purchase a laptop.
I'm afraid I was not able to identify anything by right clicking properties on the taskbar.

If you have any further clarification I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Brambles

ade.h 10:58 27 Sep 06

No, you got the right one. Ethernet comes in 10, 100 and 1000Mbit (1Gb) flavours, so don't let the speed confuse you.

Glad I could help!

brambles 11:04 27 Sep 06

Many thanks ade.h - I notice there isn't a disconnect option because I assume the Internet connection is always on. When would I use the disable option?

brambles

ade.h 12:25 27 Sep 06

Yes, you're right; there's no disconnect option as such. I use the disable option on any desktop or laptop on which the Ethernet port os not being used. Then if I need to use it, it takes just a few seconds for it to be enabled again.

brambles 15:28 27 Sep 06

I'll mark as resolved many thanks. Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…