missing help files when using index tab

allang 12:30 11 Oct 03

Having recently been infected with the blaster/lovesan virus I downloaded the patch from Microsoft.At the same time I downloaded a couple of service packs for Windows XP. Now I've found that when I try to use the Windows help and support centre I have a problem. If I click on the INDEX tab I just have an empty space where the keywords list used to be.Can anyone provide me with an idiots guide on how to get out of the mess I've got myself in ?

JIM 13:42 11 Oct 03

If your system is clean of he virus, try a sfc /scannow from the run command,see what the state of your protected files are.(A start)

allang 21:48 29 Oct 03

Thanx for reply.Just got back from holiday hence late reply.Please explain to an idiot what a sfc/scannow is.Sorry.

powerless 21:57 29 Oct 03

SFC = System File Checker.

The "Scannow" is the command to scan - now, it will scan all the protected system files.

If it finds anything wrong it will replace a file or files.

You need your XP CD in your drive when you run it.

have you ever used Easy Cleaner on that machine

allang 14:15 08 Nov 03

Don't have XP cd.Was pre-installed on my machine and the kind man in Computer World offered to sell me a copy for ?99 !! He basically said "tough" when I explained my problem , and why did I need help files anyway as they were a waste of time. So much for customer service !! Any more ideas for a computer idiot ?

VoG II 14:17 08 Nov 03

Do you have a recovery disk? If so click here

allang 14:18 08 Nov 03

Many thanx for trying to help an idiot.What is or where can I get Easy Cleaner ?

easy cleaner is a program that cleans that system out..

what i ment was have you got it installed or has it ever been installed, as easy cleaner can cause your problem and there is a fix for it

if you don't know what it is, id doubt you have had it installed, and if you havn't had it installed then your problem lies somewhere else

allang 15:42 14 Dec 03

Many thanx for your help.My help files are back (by accident) but have an even worse problem which I will post eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017