"Missing" HDD and DVD-RAM drive

WiganKen 09:18 29 Sep 05

I have a second HDD and a DVD-RAM drive. These are visible in Windows Defragmenter, Device Manager and Norton Antivirus. They were visible, but are no longer visible, in Windows Explorer or "My Computer". I can access video files on the second HDD using Pinnacle Studio so it is obviously working ok. I ran System Restore back to a point 2 weeks ago but this did not solve the problem. How do I get them to appear in Windows Explorer and My Computer so I can access and use the dives?
Kenhz

MAJ 09:31 29 Sep 05

Try removing them using Device Manager, reboot your PC and let Windows pick them up again, WiganKen.

rawprawn 09:32 29 Sep 05

Have alook in Admin Tools/Computer management/disc management make sure they are "Healthy"

WiganKen 15:48 29 Sep 05

Maj, I tried that and Windows did pick them up again but only same as before. They are still not visible in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
Rawprawn, I checked and they are both healthy.
Thanks to you both anyway.
Any other suggestions welcome (please)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 29 Sep 05

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

WiganKen 20:56 29 Sep 05

I ran System Restore again to a point further back than before and the drives have reappeared. Thanks for all responses. I am not able to find the cause so this will not help others except to say that if the first "Restore" doesn't work then try an earlier Restore Point. Problem solved. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…