missing hdd after fdisk

Titty 12:19 17 Jan 04

I know that my hard drive is 10gb, but fdisk will only allow me to use 2gb. I have said yes to fat 32 but it will not allow me access to the Gb's.

Think bios is in a mess but I'm reluctant to flash it as I donot have the original settings and the PC is not mine.

I know who makes the motherboard, it is a M571.

I can install Win 98SE, but cannot access my modem or sound card.

Any ideas on how I can access the other 8Gb please.

Diodorus Siculus 14:43 17 Jan 04

The answer may well be in the BIOS - some will not accept more than 2GB. Do you know the BIOS version? there may be an update available for you.

Titty 14:54 17 Jan 04

All I know is it is an amibios setup, I have the full serial no, but a bit scared to update as I never dne it before.

Diodorus Siculus 14:55 17 Jan 04

I know the motherboard serial number, but not sure of the bios version. The only other info i have i that it is an Amibios. Is this of any use to you.Thanks for replying, I know this computer should work but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Please, reply to the threads, not via email.

When the PC boots up, you should get the BIOS version - have a look at it. If the BIOS is old, then it may not recognise certain hdds.

Titty 15:13 17 Jan 04

The info on the screen says Bios version 1.04a 08/12/97. Shared memory bios with support vesa and bios ext version. Hope this helps.

Diodorus Siculus 16:07 17 Jan 04

Sounds like you need a BIOS flash. Not to be undertake lightly as it can finish off the mobo.

click here details of the process.

DieSse 17:05 17 Jan 04

Go into your BIOS settings, and look for a setting "LBA support" or similar. If it's not enabled, enable it. Then try again.

Titty 09:09 19 Jan 04

Thanks for your responses, checked settings and it says LBA on, so I am assuming that it is enabled. Will try to flash bios as I have had permission from owner, wish me luck.

Once again thanks .

Titty 09:21 19 Jan 04

I have had a look for a download to flash my bios but there so many. How do you know you have the right one, as I know getting the wrong one can kill off your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…