Missing hard drive after system restore

tmr 21:17 30 Mar 08

I run XP SP1 and recently downloaded SP2 which completely trashed my system which I had to restore to factory settings.
My system has 2 hard drives (C & D) but following the system restore my second drive was not reactivated and drive D is now one of my DVD drives.
How can I get access to my second Hard drive as this was my main backup storage.
I have had to restore factory settings once before after a failed SP2 upgrade but then the second hardrive and my back up files were intact.

Jak_1 22:27 30 Mar 08

Check in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management Disk management. You should be able to sort things out from there.

skidzy 22:33 30 Mar 08

Try reassigning a new drive letter to the dvd drive from Disc Management.

Use a drive letter like (z) to reduce confusion.

tmr 00:09 31 Mar 08

Thanks Jak_1 & skidzy. Sorry to be thick but how do I go about these tasks?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 31 Mar 08

Disc Management.

right click My computer - Manage - storage -disk management.

right click the drive (and select assign drive letter.)

tmr 23:12 05 Apr 08

Thanks fruit bat but when I right click the drive there is no option to assign a drive letter. How do you do this?

ventanas 23:21 05 Apr 08

Try change drive letter and paths. From the options choose change and select a new letter from those available.

tmr 19:14 06 Apr 08

The right click dialogue box but it only gives the option to "Delete Partition" and all other options incuding change drive letter are greyed out.
If I delete the partition will it give me an option to rename or will it delete the drive and all it's contents?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009