Missing Hard Drive.

bda72 17:39 02 Jun 05

I know its careless but I have lost a Hard Drive. I have 2 Maxtor 160Gb 133ATA drives in my machine one with windows and various programs and the other with my documents and used as a dump for data. The drive with my ducuments on it has vanished as windows shows it is missing however when I boot up the machine both drives show up stating smart capable and status OK!
I have opened up the tower and checked connections and all seems well and I have a backup from a couple of weeks ago so there is no major disaster apart from the missing drive.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to start?

Thanks in advance guys.

DieSse 17:43 02 Jun 05

Assuming it's WinXP

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer management - Disk management

Des it show up here?

The Dazza 17:47 02 Jun 05

..I had exactley the same problem months ago - still not solved. I have spoken to well qualified IT Professionals and the best they came up with was HDD dead or try installing the latest service pack for my OS. One thing I did do was reformat my other drive and do a clean install, it then displayed again hunky dorey, for about 1 month anyway,then disappeared again. Good luck & I'll keep my eye on this one just in case someone 'cracks it'

The Dazza 17:53 02 Jun 05

I've just looked in disk management and it shows disk 1 unknown, initializing. Then in the right hand pane 74.51GB unallocated. My other drive is 'healthy'. Can i do anything???

bda72 18:09 02 Jun 05

I get a similar message to Dazza, the disk is not shown in the main window with my main drive but it is shown as Disk 1 unknown, not initialized.
Sounds a bit like doom and gloom to me:(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 02 Jun 05

The Not Initialized status indicates that the disk does not contain a valid disk signature in the master boot record (MBR) or a valid disk GUID in the GUID partition table. After you install a new disk, Windows XP Professional must write the MBR or GUID partition table before you can create partitions on the disk.

When you first start Disk Management after installing a new disk, a wizard appears that provides a list of the new disks that Windows XP Professional detects. If you cancel the wizard before the MBR or GUID partition table is written, the disk status remains Not Initialized until you right-click the disk and then click Initialize Disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 02 Jun 05

Disk State: Not Initialized

A configuration error is preventing the disk from being used.

To make the disk available for Volume Manager use, place the disk under Volume Manager control and add the disk to a disk group.

If the disk cannot be added to the Volume Manager via the Storage Administrator, it may be necessary to reinitialize the disk with the Initialize Disk task (Hosts > Initialize Disk) or the following command:

vxdisk -f init device_name

Note: This command overwrites the disk header and configuration information on the disk. Any volume copies or regions located on the disk will not be accessible after you reinitialize the disk.

bda72 18:26 02 Jun 05

I'm guessing this means even is I can get the disk initialized I have no hope of getting the data back.

bda72 18:27 02 Jun 05

(even if) not (even is)

The Dazza 19:06 02 Jun 05

How do you place the disk under Volume Manager control and add the disk to a disk group and reinitialize the disk with the Initialize Disk task? I typed in vxdisk -f init device_name but just got an error message 'vxdisk' is not recognised as an internal or external command operable program or batch file - am I right doing this at dos prompt?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 02 Jun 05

Go to disk management start>run and type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. Check to see if the disk is initialized. If not then go ahead and do so. Now right click on the disk and choose to create a partition. If this is just for data, then I would go with an extended partition. After the partition is created, you create one or more logical drives; format with ntfs and you are good to go. The os will then assign a drive letter[s]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…