Missing Hard Drive

shezzer 22:01 07 Nov 03

I have installed a new 160 gb hard drive as a second hard drive but cannot access it.On device manager it shows that it is installed and has no problems. But i cannot find it in my computer .I am running Win Xp and my motherboard does support this size hard drive. Can anyone help please? Mike

Legolas 22:16 07 Nov 03

Have you set the partitions and formatted it? Is it being recognized at boot up and in the BIOS?

A_World_Maker 22:21 07 Nov 03

Is it been set by the jumper pins, as a 'slave' on the same IDE channel, or is it on its own channel as a 'master'? Has it been set to use LBA in the Bios?

powerless 22:24 07 Nov 03

Start, run, type:

diskmgmt.msc

Your new disk will "Disk 1" and if you right click and choose "Initialize". Now right click the big black like to the right and choose "New partition.

The reason it is not in my computer is beacasue 1) it is not partitoned and formatted and 2) The drive has not been Initialized.

With a new HDD you must Initialize and then create a new partiton then it will seen in my computer.

shezzer 22:24 07 Nov 03

Legolas
it is recognized on the bios boot screen.How can i format/partition if i cant access the drive cheers mike

shezzer 22:30 07 Nov 03

Powerless
thanks alot for the help you are much apreciated by me and many others on this forum .cheers mike

shezzer 22:36 07 Nov 03

Just one more thing after initializing the drive it now says its 127gb instead of 160gb is this right

powerless 22:38 07 Nov 03

No.

Do you have Windows XP service pack 1 installed?

Legolas 22:39 07 Nov 03

I would disconnect your other drive first, then use a boot up disk and boot to an 'a' prompt at the 'a' prompt type FDISK select large disk support then from the options you are presented with choose '1' this will set up a primary partition make sure the partition is active.

Reboot your computer again to the 'a' prompt and type format c if c is the letter of your hdd.The drive will now begin to be formatted once finished it should be ready for using.

shezzer 22:47 07 Nov 03

Powerless
no i dont have service pack 1 installed
Legolas
i have partition magic installed would that help?

powerless 22:52 07 Nov 03

You need SP1 installed for XP to recognise HDD over 137GB.

So install XP SP1 and your drive will be recognised correctly.

Or there is a registry chnange that you can make click here for XP to recognise the size of the drive correctly.

The actual reported size of your drive will not be 160GB it will be around 155GB (rough guess).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…