Missing hard disk space

Paul669 13:20 07 May 08

I've got an external 400GB hard disk that I use solely for back-ups, using Vista Backup. When I click on 'Computer', Windows is reporting that there is '48.9GB free of 372GB'. However, the size of the files on the disk only totals 213GB so there should be 159GB free. There appears to be a discrepancy of over 100GB.

Any ideas please?

GaT7 17:41 07 May 08

See if this is any help click here.

Treesize click here may tell you where the missing space is. If it doesn't account for the missing space, try defragmenting your drive.

Not sure if relevant or not but, also check how much space System Restore (SR) is taking up for your external drive if enabled - by default SR occupies 12%. Just checked mine (the System Volume Information folder in C:) & it's taking up >25%, though it says 12% in the settings! G

rawprawn 17:46 07 May 08

Have you looked in Control Panel> Admin tools> Computer Management> Disk Management and see what is showing there?

Paul669 10:56 08 May 08

Problem solved. I used Treesize and it showed that some of the sub-folders had 'access denied' so when I looked at the size of the main folder it wasn't counting those sub-folders.

I changed the access and they were then counted.

Thanks both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009