missing half of hard drive

gob14 22:03 20 Jan 03
  gob14 22:03 20 Jan 03

have just installed new 60gb seagate hard drive after formating and intalling windows 98se when i click on the drive icon it displays 31.1gbfree 328mb used whats happened to the rest

jazzypop 22:07 20 Jan 03

The most likely cause is that the BIOS on your motherboard is an older version, that cannot recognise drives greater than 32GB.

If you post the details of your motherboard, we will be able to see if an updated BIOS is available for it.

Quiller. 22:09 20 Jan 03

Check that it has not got a 32 gig "limiter" jumper on it.

If you look at the top, flat side of the drive it will show you all the jumper settings. You may have to slip the rubber sleeve off if it has one.

The other thing may be that your bios has a 32gig limit. What was the size of your last hard drive?

gob14 23:10 20 Jan 03

motherboard is brand new think it is the jumper setting the picture is on the bottom of the drive one end is master the other end is 32gb limit

hgrock 23:53 20 Jan 03

u should only have the one jumper for master, or better use CS and nothing else the other jumper li a 32gb limiter throw it away

woodchip 00:04 21 Jan 03

If you use CS you will need a 80 wire IDE cable

pj123 11:40 21 Jan 03

I had the same problem. Go to the Seagate web site and download Seatools. follow the instructions and you will be amazed how easy it is.

I think the site is click here but I just put seagate in the search engine.

gob14 23:31 21 Jan 03

have changed the jumper but disk size is still the same refomatted still the same .mother board is kt3ultra (just installed along with hard drive) i will try seatools latter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…