//some 3rd party need geo

missing hal.dll

clucker 22:33 05 May 06

My Brother in laws pc will not boot in to windows because of this message " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root>\system32\hal.dll please re-install". now the problem is he has a MESH computer which comes with a recovery disc, ie: revert to pre delivery condition. I have tried booting from my XP CD & using the recovery console to repair it "bootcfg /list" or "bootcfg /rebuild" do not work because windows is tucked away somewhere in its own little partition (f:\)& isn't found.is the recovery disc his only option or do some of you guys know of a work around..? I have trawlled the archives & the solution is not there.!!

woodchip 22:39 05 May 06

click here Scroll down in the page

woodchip 22:41 05 May 06

Sorry about that press letter H on the Page then scroll

clucker 22:48 05 May 06

scroll down to what..?? I have read the relevant pages via the archived forum posts, like i said the problem "fix" is about repairing from the XP CD which we dont have as it is a "recovery disc" instead, windows is hidden in a small partition which we cant access.

clucker 22:49 05 May 06

Doesnt apply.

woodchip 23:03 05 May 06

Then you have problems, If you do not have backups for is files. Only way out is to borrow a XP disc to effect the above Recovery. Or you will have to buy one. Ether that or loose all work and files. As you will be forced into using the recovery disc, and this wipes out all files on the disc and restores the system to when it was bought

clucker 23:12 05 May 06

Have tried the recovery option as mentioned in my original post what i'm after is another option other than the recovery disc disc.seems there is no other option.!!

Please dont take this the wrong way Woodchip cos seem to be a helpful type of person, but you really need to read the posts properly before you answer them.!

woodchip 23:14 05 May 06

As above you cannot do anything without a XP CD

clucker 23:16 05 May 06

as above "i have tried an XP CD"

woodchip 23:21 05 May 06

This may help click here

clucker 23:33 05 May 06

Already tried that,running "bootcfg /list" or "bootcfg /repair" does not work because the windows installation folder is tucked away in a small partition.in the recovery console it is listed as f:\minint & the rcovery console does not recocnize it as being a Windows Installation directory, because it is a manufacturer multi load license which means you dont get an XP disc when you buy the pc, you get a recovery disc.what i need to know is how do you access the "f:\minint" to replace the missing or corrupt hal.dll because the recovery console cant..!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…