Missing folders in Outlook Express

jz 21:45 22 Oct 05

Someone asked me recently why some of his folders within Outlook Express had disappeared in the left-hand pane.

I did a search for *.dbx files in Windows Explorer and found that all the missing ones exist as files in the same folder on the hard drive as those that aren't missing, so the files are definitely there. For some reason though, Outlook Express doesn't show them. I then did some experiments to try to work out what the problem was...

Using Windows Explorer, I copied a file which doesn't appear in Outlook Express, naming it tmp1,dbx, but it still didn't appear in Outlook Express.

I then copied a file which does appear in Outlook Express, naming it as tmp2.dbx, and this did appear in Outlook Express.

I therefore suspect that the missing ones have got corrupted, causing Outlook Express to not display them. Is this likely, and if so, is there any way to salvage the emails in the folder? He doesn't have a backup.

Stuartli 22:28 22 Oct 05

First thought is a Repair but first see:

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 22:29 22 Oct 05

There's also the Import/Export facility in OE - see its Help pages.

Stuartli 19:29 23 Oct 05

Strangely enough I've had to do an OE repair today on a friend's system and couldn't find the link above.

Apologies. It's:

click here

jz 23:24 23 Oct 05

Thanks Stuartli, I'll see if any of these help next time I'm at my friend's place.

Taff36 23:47 23 Oct 05

This worked for me. Rename all the missing folders in the store by prefixing them with OLD e.g. OLD name.dbx. Now create the missing folders in OE using the original names. This registers them in the file "folders.dbx. Close OE.

Go to the store folder in Windows Explorer and delete those newly created folders that have nothing in them and then rename the old folders (by deleting "OLD") to their original names - reopen OE and they`ll all be there.

jz 17:30 25 Oct 05

Thanks Taff36, another good idea. I probably won't be around my friend's place for a week or so to try them out, but I'm going to tick Resolved even though I haven't resolved it yet, since I've been given some good suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…