Missing files

I hope someone can help me......before i lose my sanity.......I have been working on my comp. all day.......It started with not being able to start the menu file up......just a lot of nothing turning grey........I have run Nortons done a full system scan.....twice to make sure......The only info i have managed to get back....is 2 missing files......1 being mscoree.dll....2 being Nortons desktop.htt...file.....My operating system is Windows ME......Nortons Antivirus....updated yesterday.......automatically.....One thing i keep asking myself is IF this a virus...how the heck did it get past Nortons....updated at that....I loath the idea of having to re-format the computer.....1 its such a long time ago i have forgotten HOW TO......I would appreciate some help please......I know you Guys must get fed up with the same old problems over and over....i have read some back problems in the help files.....
but it hasn't helped.........TIA Jay..........

Sorry to go on.....But honest i wouldn't ask....if i didn't have to......just my circumstances....at home alone......and disabled....so i do hope you understand how much i need my comp.......
Jay

-pops- 19:38 14 Sep 03

Can you get into safe mode?

Can you do a system restore?

spikeychris 19:49 14 Sep 03

System restore will not work as its ME. click here and download mscore.dll.

DONT EVER apologise for asking a question. Whats the purpose of the site....

Thanks Pops........Yes the computer just boots up like nothings wrong.....i can even go on the net OK thats how i have access now here ......

I cant do a system restore cause.....it won't let me explore....the message says Explorer has caused an error in (unknown) Expl....will close and thats it.....i can send mail....surf the net.......but can't read any files or programs..........Thank You Jay,.......

jim410 19:50 14 Sep 03

you say you have been using your pc today ..
what programs were you using ? did you get any error messages ?

spikeychris 19:50 14 Sep 03

Ignore the system restore part......

Chris walks away with red face....

Hi Jim.......It took ages to scan it ......well it seemed like it.......I spent nearly all the time......reading letters on the PC world to see if i could work it out for myself.....This a new one on me......its almost like having just a helf of the computer working......Oh yes i had to send e-mails incase folk got worried about me....if i couldn't get in touch....Jay Thats about it really.....

-pops- 19:58 14 Sep 03

Do you have backups?

Sorry do you mean........cd's for reinstalling everything back on .....if i have to.....Yes.....but cant back anything up if i have to re-format....cause i can't explore any of my files to do it......

Jay

spikeychris 20:07 14 Sep 03

Norton scan is very keen on announcing the fact it cant find mscore but If you are not using applications written for the .NET framework then the
absence of mscoree.dll will cause no problems.

Whats actually wrong with the machine now?

-pops- 20:09 14 Sep 03

No, I mean an image or copy of your operating system and all its contained files or, just your personal stuff.

Backups should alway be done in anticipation of a disaster because you can be certain it will happen one day - in your case it seems that day is this one, unfortunately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…