Missing file names

sellewe 16:35 27 Feb 08

When I open 'My Documents from Start/my documents or from within 'Word or Excel' the icons for all files is visible but the name of each file cannot be seen until I hover the mouse pointer over the place where the name should be and when I move the pointer the name disappears. Each file can be opened so they are still on the computer. I have tried re-naming the files but it made no difference. I am using Windows XP with SP2 and in my 10 years of computer use I have never heard about this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 16:53 27 Feb 08

Hold down Shift then double click the folder to open it. This should turn the name display back on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 27 Feb 08

A file name in which the first character is a dot (.) is an invisible file name, since the ls command does not normally display it. Use invisible file names if you don't want or need certain files displayed when you run ls.

sellewe 18:01 27 Feb 08

Many thanks for your help but I am afraid this has not rectified the problem. I have tried renaming a few files and deleting the original and this has worked but it will mean renaming all my files which will take some time so if anyone has any further suggestions it will be a great help.

VoG II 18:09 27 Feb 08

What View setting are you using? Do the names show up in other Views?

sellewe 13:01 28 Feb 08

I have tried every view to look at the files but they are not visible. They are also not visible in Page Plus which is not a Microsoft program so I am completely baffled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…