Missing file

hoverman 07:47 30 Mar 03

I ran Norton Windoctor this mornind and it reported the following which it could not repair:

Missing file. "C:\program files\COMMON FILES\InstallShield\Professional\Run Time\0701\Intel32\DotNet Installer.exe" cannot access a necessary file. "mscoree.dll"

The last time the Install Shield was run was when I installed "Splinter Cell" earlier in the week. Any ideas or suggestions as to whether this is critical?

MAJ 08:02 30 Mar 03

DotNet is usually associated with Spyware, run your Adaware, Spybot and make sure Spywareblaster is up to date, hoverman.

hoverman 08:28 30 Mar 03

Have run Adaware6 and nothing found. My Spywareblaster is fully up to date. Why would DotNet Installer.exe be in the InstallShield folder if it is Spyware? Can I delete this item?

MAJ 08:43 30 Mar 03

I wouldn't delete anything until I knew what it was, hoverman, especially anything Windoctor reports, it's notorious for this sort of warning. There is a mention of your error message if you click here and someone saying there is a solution at Symantec Knowledge Base, if that helps any.

hoverman 09:03 30 Mar 03

Many thanks for your suggestions. I have set Windoctor to ignore this problem. Incidentally, I have installed and run Spybot but it found nothing relating to DotNet.

hoverman 09:28 30 Mar 03

I logged on the InstallShield Software Corporation website which had mention of this error message together with a link to an article in the Symantec Knowledge Base. From what I gather this message can be ignored. InstallShield installs DotNetInstaller.exe as part of its engine files so it does appear to be Spyware.

hoverman 09:37 30 Mar 03

Last bit wrong: ....does NOT appear to be Spyware.

MAJ 10:37 30 Mar 03

Agghhh hoverman, I was thinking of "NEWDOT", my old memory playing up again. Sorry for putting you on a bum steer, but glad you got it sorted.

hoverman 10:44 30 Mar 03

Cheers MAJ - you are forgiven.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…