Missing File

Kave 13:32 07 Mar 04

On starting my pc, I receive a message similar to "A file needed for running windows or a Windows application is missing reinstall the file or application" The file name given is SHLDDRV.VXD, I have reinstalled windows but the message still appears, if I just press enter on seing the message the computer still loads up. Any Ideas please ?

LastChip 13:39 07 Mar 04

Have you got Panda sofware installed on the machine?

Kave 13:50 07 Mar 04

I did load on from the advisor cover disc, then deleted it again

anchor 14:05 07 Mar 04

This site might give some advice;

click here

It seems Panda A/V can be a bit of a pain.

LastChip 14:06 07 Mar 04

It's likely to be to do with the Panda installation.

When you say you deleted it, do you mean you uninstalled it properly, or just deleted the file?

What operating system are you using?

Kave 14:10 07 Mar 04

I am running win98 se, Cannot find it in add/remove progs, so dont know if it completely removed

LastChip 14:18 07 Mar 04

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 07 Mar 04

Try a registry cleaner.

OR, if you are confident with the registry:

try a registry search for the name of the missing file. Eport the registry key to the desktop and then delete the key from the registy.

Kave 14:23 07 Mar 04

The problem started on Friday , did not get chance to have a proper look until today, I am a novice when it comes to these problems so the simplest of problems, and solutions tend to baffle me, so smple terms for rectifying are always welcome

Kave 14:26 07 Mar 04

where do I find a registry cleaner, I know I may seem a bit dumb but we all have to start somewhere and this seems a good, friendly place

LastChip 15:01 07 Mar 04

Start Windows and select Shutdown; Restart in DOS mode.

You will arrive at a prompt that looks similar to this;

At this prompt, type;

scanreg /restore [enter]

note the space between the g and /

you end up with this;

C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /restore

Now scanreg will offer you the last five good registry backups. The date is USA style MM/DD/YY.

Pick a date PRIOR to last Friday, and press enter.

Your machine will be reset back to that date, hopefully removing totally the Panda installation. It will also remove any other programs you have loaded since Friday, but will not affect your personal files (only programs).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…