Missing dvd-rom & cd-rw

Deeg 23:09 05 Apr 03

My Windows ME pc has booted and not recognised that it has dvd-rom & cd-rw drives. They're not listed in Device Manager or My Computer. Why has this happened and how can I get them back? I've tried rebooting via the System cd (Gateway) that came with the pc and reboots to the original configuration - thereby erasing any important stuff I hadn,t backed up - but this doesn't resolve the problem.

ellas 23:26 05 Apr 03

are you saying this just happened,check the ide cable to see if its loose and see if its listed in device manager in secondary IDE channel,also try the add hardware wizard.

Gandalph 00:00 06 Apr 03

I agree with Ellas. The power supplies send off a very minute vibration which can, over time, loosen the mother-board connections and also the connectors on the backs of the drives. Take the covers off your machine and give all the plugs, both mother-board and drive device plugs a gentle press. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…