Missing DVD Drive

Stugadget 20:26 30 Oct 06

I have an external HP dvd840 DVD drive connected via USB to a laptop running XP with service pack 2 installed.

A couple of months ago I booted up my PC and the drive was missing from my computer and therfore I could not use it for back-ups. I tried all the usual, rebooting, reload Nero 6, plugging into different USB port. Finally I sent it back to the supplier who returned it to me " No Fault Found " on return I tried it on a mates computer and it worked. It still did not work on mine ! I am really not sure what I did, if anything but on one day it re-appeared on its own !

All worked fine until yesterday I loaded some software using the drive, I had to reboot for the software to work and now the drive has gone walkabout again ! If I unplug it and reconnect windows displays

USB Device Not Recognised

One of the USB devices atctached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem click this message.

Clicking the message is no help it lists the USB port and shows the device as unknown.

All advice greatly appreciated please keep it as basic as you can as I am not that good on PC's.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 30 Oct 06

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

Stugadget 21:17 30 Oct 06

Sorry Fruit Bat tried that an as windows is installing all of the drivers for my other USB devices the error message

USB Device Not Recognised

One of the USB devices atctached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem click this message.

Pops up at the bottom of the screen.

The drive is still missing from my computer

Stugadget 08:22 01 Nov 06

Anyone else got any ideas ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac