Missing DOS prompt

Codfish 09:17 17 May 03

I've built my own PC some months ago. I have Windows XP Home complete with SP1. I have 2 HHDs, one a 6.4gb from my original Win95 machine which has had most of it's paritions formatted. The 2nd drive, and now my main drive, is a 120Gb which is split into two equal partitions. One has Windows installed on it and is NTFS and the other is FAT32.

When I go to Command Prompt in the programs listings, nothing happens. Ever. Am I right in thinking that I read somewhere that if you want to use MS-DOS you can't have NTFS?? Is there a way around this???

VoG™ 09:51 17 May 03

Command Prompt should work irrespective of whether the drive is FAT32 or NTFS.

On the start menu, right click Command Prompt and look at properties. The target should be

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

where %SystemRoot% is the drive letter (e.g. C:).

Codfish 16:42 20 May 03

Thanks VoG, but the shortcut shows as invalid. Cannot understand why this happened when installed XP. Have created another shortcut from the executable file. I could not remember what the DOS prompt file was called, so that's helped.

Hopefully now resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…