missing .dll file from rts.exe

nkosi 20:23 08 Sep 03

I have Windows XP Home. I have just run Norton win doctor and it reports the following missing file error in the program integrity section: c:\windows\system32\rts.exe cannot access a necessary file: sbpack32.dll.
I don't know what the program rts is. I have found it in the system 32 folder and it is apparently a Transaction Server by Pathlore Software Corporation (dated Oct 2000). Anybody know what a Transaction Server is and whether I need it? Is it part of Windows and should I try to find the missing file or delete it or leave it be? System is running ok with no error messages.

mark500 21:29 08 Sep 03

click here I think this is what rts.exe refers to.

nkosi 21:48 08 Sep 03

Thank you for the link. Jeez, I hope it's not this Real Time Spy program. It sounds incredibly sneaky and if it's been there for two years, there's no telling what it's been doing. I haven't heard of a program that can be easily read from outside even through a firewall. I run Norton AV and Firewall regularly updated, likewise Spybot and Adaware. What more can you do? Perhaps one of those deleted the missing file. If it is this Real Time Spy does anybody know, is it ok to just delete the .exe file? Obviously there's no uninstall option as it's supposed to be invisible.

mark500 21:56 08 Sep 03

click here This explains it more fully. Can't find any uninstall info and I would not like to guess if it can be uninstalled. I hope some expert forum member can answer that.

nkosi 22:14 08 Sep 03

This program is of real concern. It sounds like everybody's worst nightmare. The link you have just given me says that even if the original file (presumably rts.exe) is detected and deleted, the program is already installed, invisible and undetectable. It is sending information to a remote website to be retrieved by the installer. If it has been there since 2000, they haven't got their money's worth as I haven't been a victim of credit card fraud (yet) and there's nothing remotely interesting in my e-mail traffic. Even to me!

nkosi 08:44 09 Sep 03

I have renamed the rts.exe file rts.old and it hasn't created any problems and Norton doesn't find any errors, so I'll close this post. But I may bring up the subject of Realtime-Spy in a separate post to see if others are aware of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…