missing dll file re-install windows?

blowworm 16:57 29 Jan 03

Hi just tried to start up a computer at work, it goes so far then a box saying, missing file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL WINDOWS WILL NEED REINSTALLING.

HAVE TRIED SCANREG/RESTORE AND SCANREG\ FIX TO NO AVAIL. The comp is running win 98, any ideas how to avoid a reinstall would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

spikeychris 17:01 29 Jan 03

Have you tried sfc /scannow from start and run? it will drag the files on the installation disk you will have inserted in the drive.

Chris

spikeychris 17:04 29 Jan 03

Or click here and download it into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Chris

JoeC 17:06 29 Jan 03

Win98 CD in, then go Start > Run > and type in sfc . This should start the System File Checker. As far as I remember, sfc / scannow is only for Win XP. : }

spikeychris 17:08 29 Jan 03

Pull your tongue back in it works on Win2K as well ;o)

spikeychris 17:09 29 Jan 03

Ment to say 98...but it does work on 2K..

JoeC 17:12 29 Jan 03

just eat my shorts !! I never knew it worked on anything but XP. Another thing I have learned today.

Stuartli 17:22 29 Jan 03

Either detail the file you want to reinstall in SFC or let SFC find it for you, detailing it to look on the Win98 CD.

It will probably find the file quicker than you typed it in....:-)

spikeychris 17:22 29 Jan 03

Take those shorts out of your gob I think your right with the /scannow in Win98...Another thing I have learnt today ;o) :o)

Chris

Cuddles 18:24 29 Jan 03

If none of above work, reboot using bootdisk and install windows over top of existing one, this will keep your current settings and reinstall any missing files.

blowworm 18:39 29 Jan 03

Hi,
Thanks, but how does one run SFC from DOS and extract the file from a floppy? Idiot guide necessary.
James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…