missing .dll file in MS Access

geedad 13:11 09 Mar 03

When trying to open up MS Access in MS Office Pro,
a dialog box opens with
" A required .dll.file.MSJET35.DLL, was not found "
I am using Windows 98.Second Edition.
I must say that this is the first time this has ever happened.
Can anyone help, please?
Many thanks.
geedad

Taran 13:28 09 Mar 03

You can extract a replacement DLL file from your Windows CD. It's in the D:\win98\WIN98_34.CAB file, assuming that D: is the drive letter of your CD ROM.

Browse to your C:\Windows\System folder, rename the current dll file on your hard drive from MSJET35.DLL to MSJET35.old then extract the new file from your Windows CD to the C:\Windows\System folder. To do this, right click on the MSJET35 file in your D:\win98\WIN98_34.CAB on your Windows CD and choose the option to extract it. A pop up box appears where you can navigate to the folders on your hard drive. Target the C:\Windows\System folder.

This should get you up and running.

regards

Taran

geedad 15:25 09 Mar 03

Taran.
Many thanks. Will try it!
geedad

geedad 18:33 09 Mar 03

Taran,
The file does not seem to exist at all!
Do you think that it would be wise to copy it from my original Windows 98 S/E CD to my hard drive C?
many thanks
geedad.
Wonder where it went ??????????

AndySD 18:48 09 Mar 03

click here type in MSJET35.DLL and it will tell you in the more info link where the file is depending on which version of office you are using.

Taran 19:02 09 Mar 03

Try Windows own search utility to find the file. Type in the name of the DLL and tell the search program to look on your C: drive for it.

You could also try running System File Checker - Start, Run and type in the letters SFC then click OK. Follow the prompts and have your Windows CD in the CD ROM drive.

Finally, you could try opening any Office program (Word, Excel, Access etc) and click on Help on the top toolbar. From the drop down menu click the Detect and Repair option, and Office will scuttle off and more or less reinstall itself.

Stuartli 20:20 09 Mar 03

SFC is likely to prove the easiest method as outlined by Taran - it's quick and simple.

It will also check for missing or corrupted files if set up to do so.

tony1160 00:11 10 Mar 03

hi, just go to start button botten left, programs , accessories , system tools,-system infomation, then when new window open's click tools at top ,and then system file checker<>with your 98se cd-rom in

Stuartli 08:59 10 Mar 03

Rather long winded...:-)

Just key in SFC in Run (may already be listed in the menu) and click OK.....

geedad 14:35 10 Mar 03

Stuartli - tony 1160 - Taran.
Tried all of your suggestions - can't find it!
Tried Windows search, tried SFC and my system does not show the Detect and Repair option, either!
It seems to have er......jetted off somewhere!
Any further suggestions?
geedad

Taran 02:28 11 Mar 03

Downloading and installing an updated MDAC from Microsoft click here for version 2.5 or click here for version 2.7 may help. Then again, it may not.

Have you tried starting Access again and if so, are you still getting the error message ?

Are you getting the message as Access starts up or are you trying to via Jet to another data source ?

Let us know if it's stil showing the error and one of us may be able to suggest something.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…