Missing disk space after re-partition

Pinochio 18:14 27 Jun 03

I recently re-partitioned my 30Gb hard drive into two partitions using Maxtor's Maxblast utility.

I now have one 24.6Gb and a 3.95Gb partitions - total 28.55Gb. This leaves about 1.5Gb unaccounted for.

My question is: Is it normal to loose this much disk space when re-partitioning a disk? I expected to loose some disk space but 1.5Gb seems excessive!

If it isn't normal, does anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks

jospar 18:48 27 Jun 03

Yes it does seem excessive, the only thought I have, is when you were repartitioning, that when selecting the sizes you wanted you unknowingly moved the marker, which has lead to this lose.

You can try and run Maxblast again, and see if you can reformat the second Partition, first delete this second partition and then recreate it, this might enable you to include the missing GB's.

Aslo check the jumper settings, as sometimes they can be set to overcome a OS system ability to recognise larger hard-drives, Might be worth checking this before, as if this been set or needs setting, then this could have an effect.

When I lost about 8GB, on my drive my old mobo and Bois couldn't handle the size, and when I put in a new mobo, and tried a basic reformat I couldn't retreive the missing GB's, until I change my jumper settings and done another reformat of the whole drive.

I,m assuming that your mobo and Bois are the same as before you reformatted.

Psiman 19:43 27 Jun 03

Seems not unreasonable to me.
Just installed a new 80GB HDD and when formatted in NTFS gives 74.5GB available. Your unaccounted 1.5 GB costs you only £1.50; don't worry about it!

Bodi 20:04 27 Jun 03

You haven't actually lost any disk space really. Manufacturers of hard disk measure the disk capacity in decimal measurement whereas Fdisk for example, measures the capacity of a disk in binary measurements.

For example an 8.4GB hard disk is 8.4 billion bytes (decimal) but reads as 7.83 GB Binary. The capacity is the same, but read differently.

Don't know whether I have explained this very well, but hope it helps.

Bodi

malarky 21:51 27 Jun 03

1k is actually 1024 (2 to the power of 10).
It seems that there are 10 types of people: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Bodi 09:27 28 Jun 03

the easiest way of thinking about it, is rather like currency.

You have a £100; in US Dollars this would be $165.510 and in Euros 145.019. However, the sum of money you have, is still £100.

Does this make any sense?

Bodi

Pinochio 17:50 28 Jun 03

You have convinced me I shouldn't worry, but just in case, I will try jospar's suggestion and reformat the second Partition when I come to install XP in the near future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…