Missing Disk Space

Adezzz 15:29 31 Dec 05

I recently reinstalled xp and installed a few games and some utilities and I've noticed that my disk space is reading wrong in the C: properties. When I select all of the folders and files in c:\ it totals 64gb in total (hidden files included). But is c:\ properties it says I've used 127gb. I can't think where any other files or prgrams could be. Anyone know what I can do to get the correct reading?

Sharpamatt 16:34 31 Dec 05

On your drive you talk about hidden folders, some will be for system restore. there will also be many of the file logs related to the opening of programs, there will also be internet logs, update information etc.

Sharpamatt 16:36 31 Dec 05

Sorry pressed the send button, dependant on your system there may also be the makers restoration files, whilst these are normally on a different partition, this is not always so.

Adezzz 13:58 01 Jan 06

I basically done a Select All in the root of C:\ and it totals the 64gb. But when I click on the C:\ drive, it says I've used 127gb. So I can't find the 60gb thats missing.

PaulB2005 14:09 01 Jan 06

My PC does the same. I don't think there's anything wrong.

Sharpamatt 14:20 01 Jan 06

system restore and any Makers restoration files will not be shown either as folders or hidden folders so cannot be seen.

Also on that drive witch cannot be seen are the remenants of deleated files. on my own partion with 36Gb 20 is used leaving only 11.5 available.

But 12% is used by system restore. You can turn it off to recover more space but will loose all your restore points

So its not strange to find a differance between the space used, space available, which then do not add up to the total size

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…