Missing desktop icons

niklad 19:55 17 Jul 03

i recently downloaded a file by accident and i am not sure what it is. after downloading this file my internet windows which were open displayed 'This page cannt be displayed'. i disconnected the internet connection both by the phone line and the windows two computer icon in the system tray. when i tried to reconnect my computer thought that the modem was still connected even though i had unplugged the phone line. i rebooted my computer and when i logged on all of my icons from my desktop were missing including my start menu. i performed a system restore but with no joy.when i rebooted there was something in the task manager window called explorer which was running in the applications menu. after a long time i found the file at the location: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe. this brought back my desktop icons but i must run this new task everytime i log on. please help me and suggestions apart from formatting would be helpful, thankyou

Steven135 20:24 17 Jul 03

Did you do a virus scan?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…