Missing Data - Help

the_riddle_house 20:51 19 Aug 09

Hi All

I had a problem and had to reformat my hard drive using the supplied recovery disks. This worked ok. I had been using Roxio Back up my PC for backups to an external hard drive.

I went to my 250gig external to retrieve my backed up data but only found a NEW 3.4gig partition put there when the recovery was done. The original 250gig partition had gone.

I bought Prosoft Data Rescue PC3 and scanned the drive and found a FAT32 3.4gig partition and the remainder of the drive as NTFS unallocated. But all my missing backed up files were there in the unallocated area. The Roxio Backup my PC qic files were there at 75gig. I bought another external and when trying to copy the qic files they are splitting up into many files. Back up my PC fails when trying to use these split files and can't rejoin them.

So I bought Partition Magic and scanned the drive and tried to restore the old partition but in the unallocated area it found nothing to undelete. So it appears the new 3.4gig partition has overwritten my drive letter.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible for me to remove the unwanted partition and reallocate the unallocated areas to restore my data.

or

2. Is there a way I can copy the qic files without them splitting into many files.

I am nervous dealing with this drive as it contains my only backups of 18000 pictures.

Please help.

Thank you

Paul

Technotiger 21:02 19 Aug 09
  rdave13 21:43 19 Aug 09

Yes I agree. Unfortunately your link went straight to a download. I would have no hessitation to download it as we're aquainted, if not 'virtual' friends on this forum. Possibly 'the_riddle_house' is not familiar to the forum members. So, with your permission, may I create a link to woodchip's thread.
click here

Long read and you will need to use the 'yellow envelope' to contact woodchip.
Hope you don't mind Techno?

Technotiger 21:59 19 Aug 09

Hi, I don't mind at all - you make a valid point.

I know my link goes straight to a direct download, but this program is not woodchip's own - I got mine from a Digital Photographer magazine, I don't see any point in having to send emails back-and-forth. But as you say, your link confirms the authenticity of the 'end product' to anyone unfamiliar with the Forum, so to speak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…