missing coursework, error in m$ word 2000 :-(

Andy 999 16:08 14 Jun 03

hi everyone,

I have a problem again. I was finishing my coursework today as it had to be in on Monday but when i tried saving it when i was doing my last few paragraphs an error came up saying i was having bad network problems and it couldnt save.So i clicked cancel and before i had time to save it under a new name another error came up and it said that has bead network problems and then m$ word shut down. I cant find my document in My documents and any recovered documents even though i had saved the file before. Is my data deleted or can i still find it?

caast ©? 16:15 14 Jun 03

Have you done a start/find/files folders
doc*.* wild cards may help you locate or try a recovery tool plenty free one on the net that may help just make sure you don't write anything unnecessary to hard drive before.

Jester2K II 16:17 14 Jun 03

click here

Might be able to find part of it??

Andybear 16:25 14 Jun 03

I remember the good old days when all coursework had to be handwritten. Oh those halcyon days .....

Andy 999 16:28 14 Jun 03

How can i use it to help me restore my file? btw i have that hidden file that has part of the file name and then a few symbols if u know what i mean. The kind of event log when u save a file

Jester2K II 16:29 14 Jun 03

Try copying that file then renaming it back to New filename.doc they try and open it.

Andy 999 16:45 14 Jun 03

Ok, ive found the file but its in some kind of computer code. How can i assemble the code into a form so it becomes my coursework lol?

Thanks for the program aswell

Jester2K II 16:49 14 Jun 03

Maybe that way won't work. Sure i did something simalar once with lotus!!!

Bodi 17:00 14 Jun 03

this suggestion will be of any help - er probably not - but........

Someone I know lost her work files (Word 2000/Windows 98SE) when Word crashed on her. I found her files in the Windows Temp folder, renamed them with a .doc extension and saved them to floppy disks. I was then able to load them back into Word - with a few hiccups. Some data had been lost, but most of it was retrieved.

I think the file you have found has all the Word formatting coding showing. If you go through - and it takes absolutely ages! - you may be able to manage to retrieve the text which is mingled with the coding (if its there!) I just copied and pasted the text bit by bit into notepad, then when it was disentangled and complete - saved it. Then copied the text and pasted into a new Word document.

Hope this helps.

Andy 999 19:02 14 Jun 03

No, unfortunately i cant seperate the text from the document as theirs about 1500 pages and i had graphs and tables in it. Would i be able to encode it so i can use it again?

recap 20:23 14 Jun 03

Andy 999, This may not be the case with your lost data but try "selecting all" paste it into a new doc and converting it back to the font type you originally used. It sound as if the recovered data is in something like wingdings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…