missing 'connected' icon after ADSL modem upgrade

johnpalmer 09:26 30 Dec 05

I have just changed my BT Broadband modem (Westell) to a new BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router.

This is because I now have an additional new computer (laptop) and wanted to be able to use both on broadband at home.

The PC still connects via USB, and the laptop works perfectly with the wireless option.

THE SNAG. When I connected previously to the internet, a dial up window would open, and when connection was made, a small icon with 2 little monitor screens would drop into the taskbar.

They would also flash when in action.

To disconnect from the internet I would right click my mouse on the connection icon in the task bar, and hit the 'disconnect' option.

With the new modem there is no icon, so I can't find how to disconnect.

Is there a way to set up and show this missing icon. I run on Windows ME.

Cheers

Minkey1 09:39 30 Dec 05

Hi

Not sure about ME, but if you have a network connections folder in Control Panel (or it's equivalent) you could check to ensure the "Show icon when connected" box is ticked.

Mike

johnpalmer 09:50 30 Dec 05

Thanks for the fast response, but there is no network connections folder in the control panel for ME.

My laptop runs XP, and I have successfully done exactly what you suggest on the laptop.

There is a Dial Up Networking folder, which was where my previous broadband icon was stored.

I have tried the 'make a new connection' in this folder, but when selecting from the modem list, the broadband option is not shown.

T0SH 15:40 30 Dec 05

Get LanLed from here

click here

it is a small utility it should give you the connected lights in the system tray

Cheers HC

quack 15:52 30 Dec 05

Go to Control Panel > Dial Up Network> Right click on the icon for your ISP go to Properties and tick the box for Show Icon when Connected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…