missing config

edee66 12:24 28 Nov 04

Im getting the error msge: 'file missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM'
I've tried repairing it with the system CD but to no avail. I don't want to reformat as I will lose some valuable stuff. Any suggestions please,

Thanks

JoeC 12:27 28 Nov 04

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

click here

or

click here

VoG II 12:28 28 Nov 04
  edee66 13:15 28 Nov 04

Thanks a lot guys will get started

edee66 15:48 28 Nov 04

A further problem. When I get into the (xp) repair I am given only the choice of C:\WINDOWS> for commands. I have followed the repair instuctions but every command I put in I am told is not recognised?? I have tried a number of variations to no avail.

VoG II 15:53 28 Nov 04

In the Recovery Console you should be at the C:\WINDOWS> prompt

Does the command

md tmp

work?

edee66 20:41 28 Nov 04

Don't see a 'prompt'. Tried md tmp,but it will only accept one digit which has to be the 1 for C:WINDOWS>. It did say however there was a tmp folde/file whatever but as I say whenever I tried to put in the instructed lines...cop c:\windows etc. I just got not a recognised command!

VoG II 20:56 28 Nov 04

Can you describe which part of the instructions you are trying to follow, and what actually happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…