missing com port

crusty 21:00 06 Apr 04

My daughters University PC has a 550 AMD processor running Win 98. I have added a second hard drive and installed Win 2000 as a second boot option on the second partition,as she has some newer programs to run.
Everything works fine on the Win 98 system as before. On the Win 2000 setup it won't find the modem (which is on Com port 2). I have tried to add a second com port on win 2000 but it goes straight to com port 3.
Any ideas please.
I have tried all the troubleshooters but all they say is add another com port.

crusty 21:17 06 Apr 04

She has COM1 and the LPT1 ports listed in device manager on win 2000 system. It is an internal modem. The win98 system has COM1 COM2 and LPT1.

Eric10 21:27 06 Apr 04

If the comm port is physically fitted on the PC make sure that it isn't disabled in the BIOS. If this is all correct then run the Add New Hardware wizard and let it search for it.

gudgulf 23:20 06 Apr 04

Have you got Win 2k drivers for the modem?---most modems run on com3 or 4 which are virtual ports set up by the drivers.

woodchip 23:28 06 Apr 04

If it works in Win98 do not alter the BIOS settings for the port it's Win 2000 that's not putting it on the right port. Do it from the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel there you can choose the port. But first remove the port that it's Added in Device Manager. It look's like it should be on Com2

crusty 20:08 07 Apr 04

i have tried adding the new port but it just goes straight to Com3 and doesn't give me the option of Com2.

woodchip 22:43 07 Apr 04

It should in Add New Hardware wizard

woodchip 17:38 10 Apr 04

I have a small program that may help you out called EasyCOM e-mail me to the left of this post if you want me to send it 1,383kb size

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…