missing cdrom drive d

BODS 20:29 20 May 03

help,
my friend has a pc running microsoft me, and after trying to install cd software, which would not load or run he could not get the cd to eject from the drive,pc appeared to freeze and had to use pin to free disc.
after pc re-boot on my computer screen a drive,c drive but no sign of d drive-cdrom.
has anyone any ideas what happened and to repair the drive.

thanks bods

Gongoozler 20:45 20 May 03

Hi Bods. The first thing is to check if the drive is recognised by the BIOS. It should be reported as present during initial boot, bu on modern fast computers this often happens so quickly that you may not spot it, so your only option is probably to enter BIOS setup, probably by pressing the Del key during boot up, but your BIOS may require a different key. If BIOS can't see the drive, Windows certainly won't, and you may have a loose connection, or a faulty cd drive. If you have another drive working on the same IDE cable, the motherboard probably isn't faulty.

The Sack 20:54 20 May 03

go to the device manager and uninstall the IDE channel that the drive sits on, dont worry if the hard drive or other deivces are sat on it. Reboot at the prompt and if the drive is ok windows will install it along with the IDE channel.

You can see if the BIOS spots the drive on the POST screen, there is no need to enter the BIOS.

Stuartli 21:28 20 May 03

A probable cause is that the IDE cable has become detached from the motherboard or the rear of the drive an/or the power lead.

I've just had the same problem with my DVD-ROM and rewriter - both were not listed in Device Manager but, in Safe Mode, everything was in order.

Eventually, on deciding to try a new IDE cable, I remembered that I had moved the case cabling to improve airflow. It resulted in the IDE secondary cable coming out of the motherboard....:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…