missing cd and dvd drives and system restore prob?

dfghjkl 21:37 25 May 04

hello,i have turned my pc on tonight and i have problems,my cd drive and dvd drive are not showing in my computer,in device manager it shows a yellow ex mark next to them.i also am unable to do a system restore,it wont allow me to.all was fine last night,i removed and reinstalled nero 5,then made a picture cd,i then tried to play a game,i got "far cry "game with a graphics card last weekend,it did not work so i went bact to the shop and they opened up anpther graphics card and replaced the game,i then tried to install it last night and it was the same problem as the first card,it just did not register,i tried it in both of my drives,today i have no drives,device manager says driver problems but i dont have any drivers,i bought both drives new,i have tried ad aware,spybot and spyware blaster,i have also tried the cable to see if it was loose,any suggestions please.
win xp pro xp2500+,msi kt4 board,40gig maxtor 9,256 ram x 2,msi crm52 cdrw and lg dvd rom.

stalion 21:43 25 May 04

have you run a virus check

woodchip 21:46 25 May 04

Try a different cable Ribbon to drives

PSF 21:50 25 May 04

If you have just installed a new graphics card check that you have not dislodged the ide cable for the drives. Unplug and refit the cable to see if that works.

dfghjkl 21:54 25 May 04

i have not done a virus check yet i will try. woodchip,i thought of putting one as a slave to my hard drive but i hate unplugging everything to get into the pc (again)i am overdue a clean install anyway,i was going to do it at the weekend but i need to get some things onto cd before i do,so if i can get one going i will be ok,i will need it working for the fresh install anyway

PSF 21:54 25 May 04

oops missed the last bit. If you remove both drives from the device manager and reboot they should be re-installed.

dfghjkl 21:55 25 May 04

i have checked the cable tonight,it is ok

PSF 22:29 25 May 04

Have you tried to remove/un-install the drives from the device manager, and then re-boot?

dfghjkl 22:34 25 May 04

yes i have tried that twice,i get the baloons telling me that the 2 drives are being installed but when i go into device manager they have the yellow ex,it says the driver may be corrupt or missing (code 39)

PSF 22:45 25 May 04

Try removing the secondary ide channel in the device manager and re-boot. Check in the properties first to see if the ide channel is enabled. Have you installed the latest motherboard drivers Via Ali etc...

gudgulf 22:51 25 May 04

Try booting into safe mode and see if system restore will work from there--or try "last known good configuration" from the boot menu instead of safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…