//some 3rd party need geo

missing CD and DVD drives

bpzoom 22:56 12 Sep 05

I answered a request for help from a friend whose CD and DVD drive no longer worked. When I looked at his machine I found he has XP Professional and under My Computer, and Device Manager there were no signs of the two drives. Discs inserted were not read, although both drives were connected. Reboot made no difference. Went into BIOS and for no good reason other than a hope it might make Windows recognise the D drive I re-ordered the boot sequence to C then D and A. Rebooted and the 2 drives re-appeared. Files were waiting to be read to the CD, I deleted them, and apparently all went well until today 5 days later he emails me to say the CD and DVD drives have "gone missing again". I picked up this earlier thread from 2004, in answer to a similar problem. "Insert your XP CD into your rom then exit out of the installation wizard. Click on Start>>Run then type 'sfc /scannow'. Click on OK this will reset and replace any errors and corruptions..
Note there is a space between sfc and the /..
Can anyone say if this is a solution and what it does before I pay him a visit again? Are there 2 spaces between SFC and / ? Is there another probable answer to this problem than the above?
Thanks

VoG II 22:59 12 Sep 05
  bpzoom 23:06 12 Sep 05

Thanks Vog, I will go again armed with a copy of your link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…