Missing Cab files

starlet 11:16 11 Jan 04

Just reformatted my HDD and reinstalled Win 2000 pro,updated to SP4 on Win update, M/B drivers installed ok, DVD ok, but when I come to load office and some other programs it says ERROR 1311 source file(whatever program name.cab) cannot be found, looking on the cd's the cab files are there but installer is not finding them. Any help please?

Regards Starlet

Catastrophe 11:31 11 Jan 04

I googled "error 1311" and found the following. Don't know if it helps:

On Saturday, August 24, 2002 at 11:42 am, keli wrote:
>I was installing microsoft access upgrade version 2002 on my window 2000 profesional
>unfortunately Im receiving an error massage 1311 saying my D drive does not have
>the file OFFICE1.CAB. Please anyone who can help I would be glad. THANX

The OFFICE1.CAB file is on the Office 2000 CD-ROM.
If your system came pre-installed with Office and you don’t have the CD-ROM’s, then
you need to call the computer manufacturer and ask them for your rightful copy.
If you have the CD-ROM’s, copy the file to the Office folder or to the D: drive (are
you sure that’s not your CD-ROM?).
Hopefully the upgrade will pick it up.
Good luck!

starlet 11:38 11 Jan 04

Hi
As I said the files are on the instelation CD's and have copied them to their respective folders in Programs/whatever folder, but it will not start installing it's as if it cannot find them ,Running Start ,Find,files, finds them OK on the cd's and in the folders on C: drive, I am at a loss what to do.

woodchip 12:01 11 Jan 04

Try copying the CD to Hard drive the run from the setup file in the program copy, you could try running setup in safe mode from the copy

woodchip 12:03 11 Jan 04

PS if it's created any Office folders in Explorer delete these before you run the setup above

Catastrophe 12:05 11 Jan 04

Is the correct path showing? I had this with W98 that it stopped looking at the 'front door' and I had to browse the correct path.

starlet 12:40 11 Jan 04

Just found this: Now I need to find out how to go into the registry I have never done that before.

Try the following: In registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDRoms. If the value for AllocateCDRoms is set to "1", change it to "0", reboot the machine and try again. The error is to do with Windows security policy. Hope this works (did for me), if not... well, there's always the solution of copying the CD onto the hard drive and installing from there. NB: I've discovered this tip on Adobe support pages, clearly the issue is not uncommon.

Catastrophe 15:16 11 Jan 04

Just RUN regedit (if same as W98) and keep hitting the + signs by the route shown.

It is advisable to back up your registry first!

I can't comment on that advice. I would take the alternative personally. Perhaps someone else can advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…