Missing 16-bit system module.

Daibus 11:07 28 Sep 03

I have had problems with CD´s on my computer, and now when trying to play a disk, this message appeared;

NTVDM KERNEL:Missing 16-bit system module.

Please re-install the following module to your system32 directory:KEYBOARD.DRV

Any ideas guys ?

MAJ 11:17 28 Sep 03

Have you checked your system32 folder to see if KEYBOARD.DRV is in there, Daibus? If it isn't you'll have to restore it from your Windows CD. You haven't said which OS you're using.

Daibus 11:21 28 Sep 03

Maj

Cheers...my OS is XP Home.

How do I look into the system32 folder ?

Many thanks.

MAJ 11:32 28 Sep 03

Go to Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and click on that System32 folder, it's contents will appear in the right-hand pane, scroll down until you see, or don't see, the KEYBOARD.DRV file, they are listed alphabetically. You might need to go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab and tick the little button which says "View hidden files and folders" and also untick the box which says "Hide extensions for known file types".

Daibus 11:39 28 Sep 03

Maj

I´ve got into sysrems32 folder but nowhere can I see KEYBOARD.DRV .

Is it complicated to restore this file from my XP disc, and how roughly would I go about it ?

Many thanks .

MAJ 11:45 28 Sep 03

It's not a problem to do, Daibus. Go to Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and exactly as shown), click OK and it will run through a check of all the system files to verify that they are there and intact. If it finds one missing, it will ask for the CD to replace it.

Daibus 12:30 28 Sep 03

Maj

Have just run sfc/scannow when it had finished scanning, the box disappeared with no message ,and I still have the original problem.

Anymore ideas...with thanks.

MAJ 12:40 28 Sep 03

Do a search of your hard drive for the KEYBOARD.DRV file, Daibus, Start > Search > For Files or Folders, if it has been moved out of the System32 folder, copy and paste it back in. If that doesn't work, email me (by clicking the little yellow envelope icon beside my username) with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the file.

Daibus 19:09 01 Oct 03

This problem was solved with lots of help from MAJ.

In the end he sent me the missing file, which I installed in my computer and all was well, CD/s are now playing correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…