Mirror drive

Dumble452 20:35 05 Jul 10

My old self build computer has come to the end of its useful life and is not worth upgrading so I have now ordered an Acer Aspire M3802 with 2 x 1TB SATA HDDs. I doubt if I will ever use all of that memory and think it would be a good idea to use one hdd as a mirror. The computer will come with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed but I understand that I will need Professional to run Raid. Is this true and if so what is the most cost effective way to upgrade?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 05 Jul 10

"I doubt if I will ever use all of that memory "

You'll be surprised :0)

Why don't you use the second drive to store back ups / images of the first using something like Acronis True image?

tullie 22:55 05 Jul 10

Its not memory but the capacity of your hard drives.

Dumble452 23:22 05 Jul 10

OK its not ROM or RAM but you knew what I meant

MAT ALAN 07:58 06 Jul 10

If you have ordered this PC i assume it is still under construction, why not contact your supplier and ask them to install the PRO version for you...

Ashrich 08:56 06 Jul 10

I think the motherboard in your new PC has a hardware based raid system on it which is OS independent , so the Home Premium Windows 7 will be Ok , you only need the more expensive versions if you attempt software raid .

Ashley

Dumble452 09:42 06 Jul 10

Thanks I'll see if I can check that out. Its a job lot from e-buyer so can't change the spec.

john bunyan 10:01 06 Jul 10

I have an older PC with 2 drives (1 in a removable caddy) I use it to make an Acronis Clone once a week (having scanned with SAS, Avira etc and defragged). I also make an image on an external USB HD.I have twice used the clone to recover from a trojan attack.

Dumble452 12:27 07 Jul 10

Its arrived! The motherboard is an Acer EG43M according to Belarc. I haven't been able to find a manual for it on line as yet. The 2HDDs are set up with one drive divided into 2 equal partitions and the 2nd drive left unpartitioned. Windows 7 Home Premium is pre-installed and I have had to make 3 recovery disks. There is a load of software on it which I will want to delete such as Mcaffee, Norton and trial editions of Office etc. I somehow don't think it will be as simple as I thought to set the HDDs as RAID1 and I may well have to keep to the faithful Acronis method, which relies too much on me to make backups. I'll just have to be more organised!

Dumble452 08:49 14 Jul 10

I was wrong! In the midst of all the unwanted pre-loaded software was Intel Matrix Software Manager. One click and some time later the computer was set up as RAID 1 so I'm very pleased.

john bunyan 08:56 14 Jul 10

I am not very familiar with RAID, but as I understand it, it keeps an instant copy of disc 1 to disc2. All very well if disc 1 fails. Why I use the manual ATI method is that I scan disc 1 with SAS, MAB,Avira, then defrag , then run a ATI clone to disc 2,and an image to a USB HD.With Raid, if you pick up a nasty, this is copied to disc 2. Or have I missed somethimg?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…