miqhjb32.exe Virus?

ThePharcyde007 09:14 18 Sep 04

Hi - Just turning pc of, and it came up with do you want to shut down miqhjb32.exe. Does anyone know what this program is? It resides in C:\Windows\Prefetch

cheers

VoG II 10:01 18 Sep 04

I don't know what it is but I would delete it. You don't need anything in the Prefetch folder. In fact you can turn this "feature" off altogether. Contact me using the yellow envelope if you would like a little program to adjust the Prefetch settings (including turning it off).

Diodorus Siculus 10:02 18 Sep 04

Don't think it is a virus but see this:

Windows XP monitors the files that are used when the computer starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows XP can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache. Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP and start applications.

This information is logged and stored on your hard drive taking up space and requiring a process to be kept running monitoring which applications are being run. This has a performance impact on your PC. Disabling the Prefetch function or at least only enabling it for the Boot Files will allow you to free up some system resources and preserve some disk space.

VoG II 10:07 18 Sep 04

That's the proggy I was thinking of. I wasn't aware that it was available after Jester2K closed his site.

ThePharcyde007 17:46 18 Sep 04

cheers guys, I have loads of progs in prefetch, did not know what it is

cheers for all your help A+++

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…