a minor problem in Word

palinka 15:59 21 Jan 06

In a Word doc I have several pages of blocks/paragraphs of information, each block separated from the next by a solid line (hold down hyphen key). This is because I cut the pages up after printing and the lines show where to cut. BUT, in one instance, 2 lines have got in there and I can't delete one of them - actually I can't delete either of them, but deleting one of them would do.
I'm sure the answer is something simple, but I can't find it.

mgmcc 17:48 21 Jan 06

Placing the cursor immediately under the "line" and pressing the backspace key should remove it - it does for me in Word.

jigz 17:52 21 Jan 06

I would re-install word.

palinka 18:11 21 Jan 06

jigz, I don't think it calls for anything as radical as that; it's a very minor niggle and everything else is fine.
mgmcc thank you; I tried that on a line that was NOT troublesome and it worked fine; That's it! I thought; but alas it has no effect on the "troublesome two".

VoG II 18:13 21 Jan 06

Try saving it as a Rich Text file (.rtf). Then opening in Word, deleting the line and saving as a .doc.

palinka 18:20 21 Jan 06

Aha! that may be the solution, VoG™. The doc in question came originally from someone else's PC and was modified by me.
I'll try it out. Thank you.

palinka 18:30 21 Jan 06

Alas, no. Any further movement of mouse or keyboard scuppered your idea VoG™. I got rid of one of the lines, went to Save As, etc, etc, and behold, the line was back.

VoG II 18:43 21 Jan 06

If it doesn't contain a lot of formatting then you could do similarly but save it as a plain text .txt file. Edit out the offending line in Notepad then open it in Word.

I would make a backup copy before doing that.

palinka 19:32 21 Jan 06

good idea, thanks VOG, I'll try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos