minor but annoying Word problem

palinka 18:38 30 Sep 03

If I type a list of dates as, say,1962,'63,'64 in Word, the apostrophe in the abbreviated dates is sometimes the right way round and sometimes not - in the same line of text. There seems no reason (I've tried different spacing, etc but that has no effect). What's even more annoying is that the wrong ones are uncorrectable. Has anyone a solution please?

jz 18:55 30 Sep 03

Hi, try this in Word...

From the Tools menu, choose "AutoCorrect Options...", then click on the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab, then untick "straight quotes with smart quotes"

jz 18:59 30 Sep 03

...I forgot to say that this will not change the apostrophes that you've already typed, but will work for new ones that you type.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the smart quotes option on (it is useful most of the time), after you press the ' key, press CTRL z (the undo command in Word). You'll notice that the ' goes back to the straight type.

palinka 08:45 01 Oct 03

thanks jz, that's very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…