A minor annoyance

Josquius 17:03 22 Oct 04

Last time I ran spybot it told me it woudl load when my computer next started to get rid of something which it couldn't at the time. It did this and deleted some spyware called 'Wild Tangent' which is all well and good.
However now when my computer starts up I get a pop up error box saying that windows can not find the shortcut to load wild tangent.
How would I find the boot registry or whatever it is which makes this appear and how would I remove it?

Josquius 17:04 22 Oct 04

Note- using windows xp. Forgot to say

Valvegrid 17:08 22 Oct 04

Have you checked in the startup folder? There is probably a shortcut there, just delete it.

Josquius 19:43 24 Oct 04

Where do I find the start up folder on XP?

VoG II 19:48 24 Oct 04

Start, All Programs, Startup.

If you find WildTangent there, right click and select Delete.

Or, Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK. Look for it on the Startup tab, untick it and restart your PC.

Josquius 17:58 25 Oct 04

hmm no sign of it

bertiecharlie 14:24 26 Oct 04

From googling, it appears to be a registry entry that you need to get rid of. The one that keeps coming up refers to cdaengine0400. Probably the simplest way to get rid of it is to down load RegSeeker from click here and use the Search function. Type in WildTangent and delete everything it finds. A back up will automatically be made by RegSeeker. (It comes in a zip file so best to create a new folder in MyDocuments, or somewhere, and download it into that. Extract the files and run it from the unzipped folder that you will create. You can always make a shortcut as well).

The other alternative is to download WildTangent again and then remove it from Add or Remove in Control Panel. It should be a cleaner removal, from what I've read, than removing it with SpyBot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac