Minimize Thunderbird & Firefox to Tray

JayDay 16:46 19 Sep 04

If like me you want to minimize Thunderbird to your tray then I have found an extension which will do this click here It also works with Firefox.

Whilst minimized it will continue to check for new mail, and lets you compose email, open address book etc. with a single right mouse click.

rawprawn 17:24 19 Sep 04

I think that this is very good, but I am having problems. Perhaps I'm a bit dim tonight but I have downloaded and saved the file ,but how do I get Thunderbird and Firefox to install it

rawprawn 17:27 19 Sep 04

PS. Firefox 1.0 preview release and Thunderbird versio 0.8

JayDay 18:06 19 Sep 04

Two installation methods. One for FireFox, one for Thunderbird.

With Thunderbird you need to right click the link and save the file to your HDD. Go to Thunderbird and click on extensions from the Tools menu. Click on install and navigate to where you saved the file.

With FirFox just left click the link and it will install as normal.

NB. Before installing MinimizeToTray, the file msvcr71.dll MUST exist in either your Windows system directory or your application path directory. If this file does not reside in one of these two locations, this extension will not work. If you do not have this file, or you aren't sure, you can download msvcr71.dll here: click here.
(The .dll file does not need to be registered, it only needs to reside in one of the locations already mentioned.)

The windows system directory for Windows XP/2000/NT is usually located at C:\Windows\System32\ or C:\WINNT\System32\. For Windows ME/98/95, this is usually C:\Windows\System\. Alternatively, this file may be placed in the same folder as your Mozilla-based application (Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla Suite, etc.). Common locations for the application path are C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\.

rawprawn 19:17 19 Sep 04

Well I have made a real pigs ear of this I have downloaded the program successfully to both Firefox and Thunderbird but the msvcr71.dll file is giving me problems. I have downloaded it and copied it to both Firefox & thunderbird files but I am getting the message" Cannot find binary component. Please make sure that you have the required dlls before installing the extension" I have even used system restore to get me back to square one but I am still getting the message. I will keep trying, but in the meantime any ideas as to where I am going wrong.

rawprawn 19:24 19 Sep 04

Phew, Ok done it, the problem was caused because I was using the wrong sequence, I thought that it would be OK to continue after downloading the program just to the install the dll file, but you have to go the other way round.
Anyway I think it's agreat bit of kit. Thank you for telling us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…