Minidisc No Disc..(Here's a old one for you)

Uboat 09:57 22 Feb 11

Hi guys, in 2001 i sold a minidisc i loved but at the time ran out of money, i was left with some wonderful music on the discs & just yesterday i found the exact same model (Sony) on Ebay i won it for a fiver! so not to be sniffed at!

I havent recived it yet but they was saying it says on its display "No Disc" i remember my old one saying this & i was able to find a fix for it but its been so many years i have forgot?

Any ideas pls.?
Cheers

UB

Uboat 19:19 22 Feb 11

anyone pls?

Big L 266 19:39 22 Feb 11

Hello.

Uboat....I remember having a minidisc around this time. I believe it said 'no disc' to denote 'no disc' in the machine. In order to remove the text you had to put a minidisc in with the tag on the back slid to one side or the other. It had to be in the 'unprotected' mode for recording rather than 'protected' mode for playing mode but I can't recall which! It then 'loaded' like a cd would in a cd player and denote the total number of tracks and playing time.

I hope my vague memory is of some (probably not though) help.

Big L 266

morddwyd 20:01 22 Feb 11

Are you talking about the normal CD that goes in your PC to download the Sonic stage software used with some Sony recorders?

morddwyd 20:01 22 Feb 11

Are you talking about the normal CD that goes in your PC to download the Sonic stage software used with some Sony recorders?

morddwyd 20:02 22 Feb 11

Why does that sometimes happen?

Big L 266 20:27 22 Feb 11

Hello.

morddwyd....I often duplicate things although I blame mine on 'fibro fog'!

Big L 266

mooly 08:09 23 Feb 11

Could be just the lens that needs cleaning if you are lucky.

Strange that nothing has really replaced MiniDisc (at an affodable price) and for versatility you can't beat it.

morddwyd 09:58 23 Feb 11

"Strange that nothing has really replaced MiniDisc (at an affodable price)"

Affordable price being the operative words.

Sony simply charged too much for licences, just as they did with Betamax, and killed any potential market.

They should have taken a lead from Phillips, who made a good profit on first of all cassettes, and now CDs.

Nontek 11:06 23 Feb 11

I too had a load of very good MD's full of music etc, however, I found it impossible to replace the rechargeable battery even after trying at least three other MD players. I ended up giving the discs to a charity shop, though I don't know what good they might be to anyone - the batteries don't last forever. I did have the alternative AA battery pack which worked, but what a pain to carry about!

I would be very surprised if your newly acquired MD will actually work - but I sincerely wish you good luck!

dfh 12:19 23 Feb 11

Have just dug out our old Sharp mini disc and it still works!!! On the display it shows no disc when there is no disc in the machine.

Looking at our Sony micro hifi, which also has an in built mini disc system, that shows the same.
Nothing else about it in the troubleshooting, will dig further if need be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5