Mini PC Barebones System + Stereo - which?

gplatt2000 16:00 22 Mar 04

Hi everyone. I am probably going to get myself a mini-pc, barebones thingy (not sure what to call them really),in the near future, and an amp so i can use it as my stereo. I am most probably going to get the MSI Mega PC as it seems to do most of what I want.

But today I found out you can buy just the cases separately, and do it all yourself. So now I'm wondering, could this work out as better value for money?? Where can I get suitable motherboards from? Any ideas on a good setup for use as a stereo?

Also, which other barebones systems would be suitable for use as a stereo (need mp3 + cd playback whilst PC is not turned on)?

Sorry for being so vague, I dont actually seem to know just what Im asking, basically any ideas of going about getting a decent setup along these lines:

Nice-looking, discreet (dont actually want it to look much like a PC if possible, more like a stereo, like the nice MSi Mega 180)
Decent performance for video and image editing.
Room for 2 hard drives.
Preferably use of an Athlon processor rather than a Pentium (due to the costs)

Again, apologies for the unorganized, vague question but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Gavin

Indigo 1 16:11 22 Mar 04

You are going to struggle getting all the necessary parts and make them fit.

You can't play CD's while the PC is off

Barebones systems use specially adapted motherboards and I really don't think it's possible to put a second hard drive in due to space limitations.

If you have never built a PC before I would not recommend you start by trying to build a barebones from scratch, but there are plenty to choose from on the net.

medicine hat 16:47 22 Mar 04

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to build the Shuttle I bought recently. It was a bit fiddly on occasion but it came with easy to follow instructions and is very well made.

I think if the floppy drive is left out you can install a 2nd hard drive. You should consider what you mean by decent video performance - if you want to play the latest games then you may have to install a graphics card and then you have to get one which will fit.

Have no experience of MSI's Mega but the 180 does look very good. From your posting it looks like you have already made your mind up so go for it.

gplatt2000 22:25 23 Mar 04

Thanks for the responses guys. And yeah that's what im thinking, just go with what I originally thought, its just it would be nice for some more opinions first! And the only thing Im really not keen about is the fact that it needs an intel processer.

Any more commments people?

accord 22:57 23 Mar 04

theres various models available check these out

click here

click here

click here

or check out custom pc magazine, they always have some reviews in there.

BTW: i think on the MSI you can play CDs with the pc switched off.

hope this helps

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:10 23 Mar 04

You could always have an extra external USB HD and it could be hidden out of sight.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…