Mini laptop or tablet? For me mini laptop, am I right though?

Housten 15:39 12 Jul 14

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

This is a plea for your help. My wife is fed up with me taking her laptop on holiday with us! So I bought what I thought was a reasonable tablet. This now appears to have been a mistake, as I, eventually, got in to my Amazon Kindle account – but there was no way to log out!

What I want is a unit that is Wifi capable, preferably Windows 7 ( or similar ), can access web sites ( and get out of them!! ), can read and write emails and can download – mainly Excel spread sheets from the web. I didn’t think it was too much to ask but I have been looking for 2 or 3 days now and I am thoroughly confused. I have shifted my idea from a tablet to a mini-laptop, because all these seem to have keyboards, which the tablet I got seems to work when it feels like and the keyboard – an optional extra – does not even respond! So I have decided that something with a built in keyboard and Wifi would be better. More expensive I accept, but it would seem also more likely to work the way I want!

So my question is this: Having seen that Toshiba, Samsung, Acer and Asus never mind any number of other makes all recommended on different sites can anyone tell me which would be a reasonable manufacturer to get one from.

I will be very grateful for any and all help/advice/information that you can give such an ignorant - and apparently useless - person such as me.

Woolwell 15:58 12 Jul 14

I told you in another thread that I thought that you wouldn't like a tablet.

There are ways to log out but it depends on the tablet and its OS.

Do you want a touch screen? I suspect not.

Have a look at an ultra-portable laptop with about a 11" screen. There will not be a CD/DVD drive built in. All of the makes you quote are fine.

Woolwell 21:21 12 Jul 14

Housten mentioned in a previous thread that he didn't like smart phones. I wonder if a tablet with touch screen is suitable in view of that opinion?

Housten 11:40 13 Jul 14

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your replies. As Woolwell suspected I am an old - and some would say - useless fa*t! What I am not sure of is Windows 8. I have had some problems going through the various incantations that Microsoft have put out over the last 25 to 30 years, and I do not really want to take the time and trouble learning another system, when my desktop - which I will still be using - use Windows 7. I should have made this point much more clearly and stronger. For which I apologise.

Woolwell's point about the makes I mentioned are very welcome, thank you. Especially as the two units mentioned above are both well over £300 and I did not really want to go beyond that sum. I accept that a fair chunk of the Surface's cost is because it has Office included, but I am quite happy with the version I am using, 2003 Professional! So I will look around and see if there are any with Windows 7 and see what I can get.

Many thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

Woolwell 12:52 13 Jul 14

You may well struggle to get a new system with Windows 7 from one of the manufacturers that you listed. They usually ship with W8.

bumpkin 13:37 13 Jul 14

This any good click here

Housten 17:30 14 Aug 14

bumpkin,

Many thanks for your reply. I only found it today because we have been having severe problems. Among other things were three Nexus 7's ( with 32 GB ) that I could not connect to my router! So I gave up on them and now have an Acer One 722, with 4 GB of ram. OK I have a couple of problems with it but I am hoping that a question I have asked will solve these.

Many thanks once more.

Woolwell 17:32 14 Aug 14

You should have had no problem connecting the Nexus's to your router. But I did suggest that you wouldn't like a tablet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…