mini dv troubles

cnl 16:28 19 May 03

Hi there,

Does anyone know what the best format would be for copying mini dv to a computer hard drive, ie what format to store it in? Is mpeg-1 any good, or should I invest in a software package that allows me to store in mpeg-2 or better? I'll be getting a firewire card but this would help me choose a package. The quality has to be very good, as close as possible to the tapes, and space is (hopefully) no object. Lastly, can movie maker be used to do this and can it burn vcds?

Thanks, any help or opinions are much appreciated.

y_not 18:25 19 May 03

I copy all DV as AVI files, however these are VERY large files .

This format is good for editing with, after this I encode to MPEG2 and write to SVCD...this compresses the file to a few hundred MB's.

Example - AVI file was 5.75 Gb encoded to MPEG2 reduced to 495Mb.

Once I am happy with the results I save a copy to VHS tape (just in case - albeit at a lower quality) and delete the AVI file. Any future copies are written to SVCD from the MPEG2 file (which I keep on the HDD.

For the editing I use Studio 8 which captures, edits and encodes ready for the writer to finish the job.

Hope it helps

LAP 18:59 19 May 03

cnl.. I'm now running win xp with this came movie maker which I updated to movie maker 2 (free) I have a firwire card and have full control over my DV camera on screen. May I suggest when you get your firewire card give movie maker a try, it won't cost you anything. It is very easy to use and will allow you to save in various formats ie 'to computer'
'web'email' 'back to DV camera' 'to CD' .Lap.

cnl 10:26 20 May 03

Thanks very much guys.
That really helps.
Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…