Mini disc drives for pc?

monkon2 17:48 11 Jun 04

I have just been given several Minidiscs, they are manufactured by sharp and are 74 minutes long and have the code MD-R 74 on them, my query is can you buy a recording drive to fit in your pc that accomodates these discs and are they capable of handling data as well as music? they are more like a floppy disc with a cd in the middle than a normal cd

thanks in advance

stalion 17:52 11 Jun 04

have you tried playing them on your cd player?

accord 17:56 11 Jun 04

unfortunately Sony didnt go down the road of these butes being able to take data. God only knows why. Great for music though.

monkon2 18:12 11 Jun 04

no , i havent tried, they are in no way going to fit!!! oh well, guess i have some new coasters ................................

thanks

PSF 19:00 11 Jun 04

You can record Mini disc on a standard CDR, my son uses them for music with his mini disc player.
They should be 8cm wide, there is provision for them in the cd tray. I am not sure if it would work in a slot player.

PSF 19:03 11 Jun 04

You can record Mini disc on a standard CDR, my son uses them for music with his mini disc player.
They should be 8cm wide, there is provision for them in the cd tray. I am not sure if it would work in a slot player.

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:13 11 Jun 04

PSF

I think you are confusing 8cm CDs with minidisks (MD) which are housed in a plastic case (a bit similar to 3.5" floppys but with optical disks rather than magnetic.

All MDs use ATRAC compression when recording, so I don't know who this would affect data - I assume you can't use them for this.

All you need is a net recordable minidisc that connects via your usb and then you can transfer songs vis ATRAC to the discs to play on the move

PSF 19:25 11 Jun 04

Oops, I see what you mean, he uses mini-disc (cd's) not mini-disk... click here

monkon2 19:31 11 Jun 04

thanks for clearing that all up, much appreciated

MIke 21:14 11 Jun 04

From what I've read Sony wanted the minidisc to replace the floppy but as the floppy is so universal it never happened. They are planning on bringing out a new type of minidisc with a larger capacity (1GB) called HI-MD and plan on making this useable as a data disc

click here

And yes I agree with accord they are great for music. Shame they haven't taken off in UK like they did in Japan and Germany.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…