Bass99 18:00 26 Jun 03

Following the security procedures as advised by kind people in Helproom. I have found a 96kb file \widows\cookies\index.dat

This is a Notepad application, which I could not open or delete, as it was in use.

Copying to floppy it opened, showing files with a selection of Data miner code instuctions.

Tried Widows delete, dos window del, and Safe Mode. How do I rid myself of this please?

Valvegrid 18:09 26 Jun 03

You Can't delete index.dat files in the normal way, because the are gaurded by windows. Having said that you can delete the data with one of the programs you can download, type index.dat into Google. Little tip, you can rename the folder to to something else, re-boot and IE will replace the missing folder which will be empty, then delete the re-named folder.

mikef. 18:13 26 Jun 03

Data Miner is spyware that collects information about your surfing habits so as to target advertising. Download AdAware click here which will remove them from your system and use it regularly

Valvegrid 18:13 26 Jun 03

By the way, there is another index.dat here as well:

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Jester2K II 18:56 26 Jun 03

Use Supercleaner click here to clean the Index.dat file...

Bass99 20:37 26 Jun 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…