mindark project entropia?

Daxsimus 20:43 23 Jan 05

Hi, My son has just come in and said he wants to sign up for this virtual game.click here Looks ok on the surface but I am a bit worried about it saying about using real money to buy things etc in the game. Has anyone else played it and if so is it safe or another con to get our money? Thanks for any advice. Dax

Technotiger 20:59 23 Jan 05

Hi, I've had a look - as you say, on the face of it, seems ok - don't know if it was refering to real cash as we know it though. Could your son give you more details of where he heard of it, have any of his mates got it, if so what about asking their parents.

Cheers.

Daxsimus 21:28 23 Jan 05

I think he just read about it so I haven't got anyone to ask like his friends etc. What puzzled me was it says that you exchange real cash for the currency of entropia and can exchange back to real cash too. If it is only a game then there would be no need for real cash. Puzzling. I just hate sites that ask for bank details even if they dont need them. Not sure if you need to give this info though on sign up as I havent gone that far.

VoG II 21:33 23 Jan 05

I would not go near this with a 40 foot barge pole. If you do then you need your head examined.

Technotiger 21:33 23 Jan 05

Just like unknown e-mails in your in-box - don't know, say no !! I would always err on the safe side. :-))

Technotiger 21:34 23 Jan 05

How many more times we gonna say Snap :-))

Daxsimus 21:38 23 Jan 05

Why is it really a con? Just so I can let my son know that some more experienced comp users know more than my son does, who seems to think he knows best. (like they do). Thanks for the advice.

VoG II 21:42 23 Jan 05

If somebody came up to you on the street and said give us £50 and we'll enter you in this special game. Don't hang around, we'll be in touch when you've won.

Would you?

Daxsimus 21:45 23 Jan 05

Yes true VoG get your point. I found out he read about it in Computer Active magazine. Anyway will tell him it's a big NO,NO. Thanks guys. Dax

Kodan 22:04 23 Jan 05

It is not a con. In fact, some of you may well have read about that Australian guy who bought an island within the game for 26800 real life US dollars?

It is a game where you can buy resources, pay rent etc, with real money, or with in-game gold.

I have never played it, but it is just one step futher down the road beyond the current system whereby people playing Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot or Ultima Online sell in-game stuff on Ebay.

I play UO, and have bought and sold stuff in a similar way.

But I know nothing about the fun aspect of Entropia - I have avoided it, as I would not trust myself with my paypal account, if something cheap and profitable came up for sale. (Nor would I trust a teenage son - so I recommend a big NO NO too. Especially as there is probably a monthly subscription)

Daxsimus 22:31 23 Jan 05

Thanks, if it was free then bye what you say would be ok. As it is i'll tell him to stick with runescape and C&C. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…